Monday, April 25, 2016

Possible Research Artifacts

In a past lecture, titled "Women in the Military"presented by Professor Carol Burke two pictures were presented side by side. These two images were Michelangelo's Isaiah and Rockwell Rosie


Image was taken from Professor Burke's lecture slides. 

When I saw these two works of art I was immediately surprised and intrigued. The character Rosie the Riveter, Rockwell's illustrated World War II character, often championed as a symbol of women's strength, independence, and ability was fashioned on an image of a man. I find this incredibly fascinating and I believe this might need further investigation. 

Another possible artifact would be the evolution of weapons, specifically the gas chamber. I understand the gas chambers have been used in the past to execute condemned prisoners and most notorious were in operation in concentration camps in the Holocaust. The gas chamber is something that caught my interest because while I was interviewing my high school JROTC teacher we focused in on his time in basic training. I asked him what was one thing he didn't like doing and he answered going into the gas chamber. The armed services has a course in which recruits must go into a gas chamber without any protective gear(masks) and try to withstand the ordeal.

Another possible artifact would be an instructional video from the Cold War era. I think it would interesting to find out who produced these instructional videos and where they where shown. Today, at any given moment (as long as WiFi is available) a person can access a video, movie, episode from their phone, computer, and other electronic devices. This was not the case in the 1950-1980s. 



No comments:

Post a Comment